1. Health

Holiday Resources for Disability Advocates

Seasonal Programs and Offerings for the Disabled


Updated April 24, 2014

Would you like to do something special for a disabled person in need this holiday season? Whether you would like to find braille cards from Santa for a child, or are interested in making a one-time donation to a cause, the following resources will help you locate offerings that benefit the disabled.

Note: Before donating to any charitable organization, be sure to check them out via the Better Business Bureau or the Charity Watch organization.

1. Braille Letters from Santa - National Federation of the Blind

Young womans hand reading brail.
Southern Stock/Photodisc/Getty Images
Request a Braille letter from Santa this year for a boy or girl aged 10 or younger. The National Federation of the Blind is providing this fun holiday program at no cost. The deadline each year is a week before Christmas. Check the text hereNational Federation of the Blind website for specific deadline information.

2. Braille Letters from Santa - Utah Foundation for the Blind and Visually Impaired

Wimstime @Dreamstime.com

Request a letter in Braille from the Utah Foundation for the Blind and Visually Impaired. They will write the letter in contracted and uncontracted Braille, depending on the way the request is written.

Letters to Santa should be mailed to:

  • Santa Clause
  • C/O UFB
  • 2056 West Carriage Ave.
  • Riverton, Utah 84065

3. Christmas Party - Asian Community Mental Health Services, Oakland, CA

Johanna Goodyear @Dreamstime.com Free Images
Located in Oakland, California, the ACMHS helps to spread holiday cheer by providing their community with food, music, performances and of course, a visit from Santa during their annual Christmas party. Each child is provided with a gift during the party.

4. Christmas Party - Blessed Assurance Adult Day Care, Matthews, NC

Grinerswife @Dreamstime.com Free Images
The Blessed Assurance Adult Day Care is in need of gifts for seniors for their holiday Christmas Party. This year's party is being held on Friday, December 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM. Contact Nate Huggins at 704-576-4754 for more details.

5. Holiday Assistance - 3H Fund - Tunbridge Wells, Kent

Robert Lerich @ Dreamstime.com Free Images

The 3H Fund are specialists in providing subsidized group holidays for physically disabled people and respite for their carers. When funds are available, they provide grants to families on low income with a physically or mentally disabled dependent to have a modest holiday in the UK.

Contact information for the 3H Fund is as follows:

  • 3H Fund (Help the Handicapped Holiday Fund)
  • 147A Camden Road
  • Tunbridge Wells
  • Kent
  • TN1 2RA
  • Tel: 01892 547474
  • email: info@3hfund.org.uk
  • website : www.3hfund.org.uk/

6. Holiday Assistance - Family Welfare Association, Dalston, London

Frankiphotographer @ Dreamstime.com Free Images

The Family Welfare Association may be able to assist an adult or child have a holiday in the UK. It will accept referrals from a social worker or voluntary agency.

Inquiries should be sent to the following address:

  • The Family Welfare Association
  • The Grants Administrator
  • 501505 Kingsland Road
  • Dalston
  • London
  • E8 4AU
  • Tel: 0207 254 6251

7. Holiday Assistance - Handicapped Aid Trust - Lytham, Lancashire

Weberfoto @ Dreamstime.com Free Images

The Handicapped Aid Trust (HAT) was set up to make holidays possible for disabled and handicapped people. It recognized that in order for many disabled people to take a holiday, they needed the assistance of a helper. HAT helps in the following ways:

  • Gives grants towards the cost of helpers to assist individuals on holiday.
  • Gives grants towards the cost of holidays and helpers to give carers a break.
  • Gives donations for assisted group holidays, in partnership with other organizations.

The requirements are as follows:

  • Applicants must be over 17 years old.
  • Applications must be supported by an organization, health or social work professional.
  • Deadlines for applications are: 1st February for summer holidays and 1st August for winter holidays.
  • Applications are considered only once every two years.

Applications should be sent to the following address:

  • Handicapped Aid Trust
  • Windmill House
  • Church Road
  • Lytham
  • Lancashire
  • FY8 5LH
  • Tel: 01253 796441

8. Holiday Assistance - Holidays with Help - Surbiton, Surrey

Raja Rc @ Dreamstime.com

Holidays with Help provides subsidized holidays for individuals, couples and families with disabilities.

Direct inquiries to:

  • Mrs Rosemary McIntyre, MBE
  • 4, Pebblecombe
  • Adelaide Road
  • Surbiton
  • Surrey
  • KT6 4LL
  • Tel: 0208 390 9752
  • email: holidays.with.help@lineone.net
  • website: www.holidayswithhelp.org.uk/index.htm

9. Holiday Gift Box Program - Utah Association for Intellectual Disabilities

Lori Martin @ Dreamstime.com
The Holiday Gift Box Program in Utah provides gifts to intellectually disabled recipients, many of which won't get a gift during the holiday season without it. Advocates can adopt a participant by visiting the UAID website; they may also call UAID at 801-870-7011 with any questions.

10. Jingle Bell Run/Walk - Arthritis Foundation

Steven Cukrov @ Dreamstime.com
Participate in a Jingle Bell Walk/Run to "help fight arthritis pain by raising funds to support vital arthritis research and education programs." Participants can raise money as an individual for the fundraiser or join a team and register online.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.