Children and Teens
By Charlotte Gerber, About.com Guide
Financial resources for parents and legal guardians of disabled children. Supplemental Security Income, Early Intervention Program and other services.
- Choosing a Social Security Disability Representative
- Social Security Disability Denials
- Supplemental Security Income Tips for Children
- What is the Early Intervention Program
Grants and Other Funding Opportunities for Disabled Children
Grants and funding opportunities for parents and legal guardians of disabled children. Each organization has different guidelines and requirements for applicants.
- Disabled Childrens Relief Fund
- Kaitlin Marie Bell Foundation
- M.O.R.G.A.N. Project
- Midwest Special Needs Trust
- UnitedHealthcare Childrens Foundation Grant
Education options for disabled children and teens. Public schools, private schools, inclusive schools and colleges.
- 5 Reasons to Home School a Disabled Child
- A Parents Guide to Stopping Bullying
- Best Colleges and Universities for Disabled Students
- CHIME Institute
- Choosing a College for Disabled Students
- College Adaptive Sports Programs
- College Scholarships for Disabled Students
- Home School Resources for Disabled Children
- Learning Disabilities Association of America
- Learning Disabilities Resource List
- Learning Disabilities
- Schools for Learning Disabilities
- Student Loan Discharge for the Disabled
- What is Inclusive Education
- Youth Disability Advocate Awards and Scholarships
Caregiving options for disabled children, including daycare, home care, youth nursing homes as well as caregiver issues.
- Auditory Processing Disorder - A Caregiver's Story
- Caregiver Resource List
- Daycare Facilities for Disabled Children
- Depression and Disability
- Family Caregivers
- Group Homes for the Disabled
- Handling Stress - A Guide for Caregivers
- Support Groups for Caregivers
- Youth Nursing Homes
Common issues facing the disabled teen population. Includes bullying, sexuality, dating and transitioning to adulthood.
- A Parents Guide to Stopping Bullying - Interview with Judy Helm Wright
- Body Image and the Disabled
- Bullying and the Disabled Teen
- Contraception and the Disabled Teen
- Dating with a Disability
Mobility and Fashion
Teens and children are very much aware of the look of the mobility devices they use, as well as their clothing. Many clothing designers and mobility device manufacturers are taking notice and creating fashionable and fun items for young consumers.
Transitioning to Adulthood
Information on steps that disabled teens will need to take before exiting high school and living independently.
- Transitioning to Adulthood - Education
- Transitioning to Adulthood - Employment
- Transitioning to Adulthood - Independent Living
Information on camps that are geared toward children with physical or learning disabilities, as well as those with disabling medical conditions.