1. Health
Send to a Friend via Email

Permanent Disability and Student Loans

By January 27, 2012

Follow me on:

Handling finances can be difficult, especially if you have the burden of student loans. While student loan payments can be deferred for economic hardship, an individual who is living on Social Security Disability may not be able to afford their student loan payments.

There is an option for those who are totally and permanently disabled, and receiving SSDI benefits - the student loan discharge. A student loan discharge will eliminate your student loan debt to the federal government. The application process can be a difficult one, not unlike applying for Social Security Disability. The application has to be approved by a panel of medical doctors, but in the end, it can ease worries when there is a financial hardship.

To learn more about the application process, as well as tips for getting through the paperwork, check out my recent article, Student Loan Discharge for the Disabled.

June 29, 2012 at 7:30 am
(1) relationship sites says:

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as
I provide credit and sources back to your blog? My blog site is in the very same area of interest as yours and my
visitors would certainly benefit from a lot of the information you
provide here. Please let me know if this ok with you.

June 29, 2012 at 9:07 am
(2) disability says:

Yes, as long as you provide credit. Thanks for dropping by!

February 3, 2013 at 8:04 am
(3) holly says:

I am wondering about the opposite, can I maybe GET a student loan or grant, etc to go to school, while I am receiving disability benefits, w out them being affexted?

February 3, 2013 at 6:06 pm
(4) disability says:

There are several types of government student loans (in the United States) that you may be eligible for. There are also government grants that you may also be eligible for. Contact the financial aid office of the college you are interested in attending and request a financial aid packet. It will explain all of the options that will be available to you.

If you haven’t already done so, and you live in the U.S., you will need to submit a FAFSA application first, and it should be done as soon as you, or your parents, have filed their taxes. Visit http://www.fafsa.ed.gov for more information.

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.